Monday, December 1, 2014

Our Italian Honeymoon: Florence, Italy

Update:  Well, a year and a half later, I am just now realizing I never posted these posts on our honeymoon.  So the story continues....


After spending time in Rome, we hopped on a train and 3 hours later arrived in Florence, Italy.  Traveling by train is so simple in Europe.  I wish we had the same type of rail system here in the states.  I would love to jump on a train and be in Chicago a few hours later!


First, lets take a minute to talk about this picture.  That's Jeremy carrying my suitcase and his.  Mines the black one.  Luckily, you can't see his expression because I'm pretty sure at this point he might have been reconsidering our marriage ;)  Before we went on our honeymoon Jeremy urged me to consider bringing a backpack like his, but I argued with him saying that my clothes would get all wrinkled, my stuff wouldn't fit...blah blah.  So then he told me he would NOT carry my suitcase for me.  Well.... obviously you can tell he stuck to that by the picture!  


Florence was truly beautiful.  Much more scenic than Rome.  The train ride to Florence through Tuscany was gorgeous.  Above is the hotel we stayed at.  We stayed at all Hilton properties while in Europe which I would highly recommend.  It's just nice to know exactly what to expect.  This hotel also had television stations in English, score!  No more BBC for us!  


This was a park right across the street from our hotel.  We never did figure our what the large buildings in the background were.  I would love it if one of you reading knew!


As soon as we got there we headed out into the town exploring.  We had to stop for gelato, since you know, we hadn't had it in at least 12 hours.  


One of the main attractions of Florence, The Duomo.  Another beautiful church.  Very different architecture in Florence than what we saw in Rome.


Also in Florence is Michelangelo's's statue of David.  This is a replica.  The original is housed in the building directly behind the replica.  

Florence was my favorite city to explore.  It was smaller than Rome, with less tourists and beautiful scenery.  It was truly romantic to get to walk the streets and venture to wherever our feet may lead.  Very serene.



Ponte Vecchio (pictured beneath) is a unique shopping district featured on a bridge that spans the river.  It houses jewelry stores full of beautiful antique pieces.  I wish we were wealthy enough to buy pieces to bring back!


At the end of a curvy drive, Michelangelo's plaza sits at the top of the city.  It is stunning.  Truly breathtaking.  You can see views of the entire city of Florence and houses nestled in the hills.  Tourists and locals alike flock to take in the sunsets each night.
We hadn't known about the overlook but wondered why everyone was cramming on a bus that only had one stop.  I'm so glad we did.  It's one of my favorite memories from our trip.

There was also a quaint restaurant at the top of the hill offering spectacular views while you dinned.  Does this not just scream Tuscany to you?


We ended the night next to the Duomo having one of the best Italian meals of my life and my only glass of wine while in Italy.  I know, I know.  I'm probably the only person who travels to Italy and doesn't take advantage of the freely flowing wine.  I'm just not a wine girl.    



No comments:

Post a Comment