Saturday, January 4, 2014

Our Italian Honeymoon: Traveling



Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine I would go to Italy on my honeymoon.  Traveling halfway across the world, to a country I had never been, experiencing things both of us had never experienced was a wonderful way to start our marriage and the Lord surely blessed us in allowing us the opportunity to go.  We are already planning our next trip overseas (which, will not be for a few more years, but hopefully not too long from now!)




The day after our wedding we woke up early and headed to the airport.  We flew to Chicago and had a layover there.  Just enough time to eat lunch and explore the airport a little bit.  I LOVE airports!  I love the people watching, all the good food, neat stores.... I just love them!  Jeremy thinks I'm weird, but I really would go to airports all the time if I could!  International airports I feel differently about, but more on that later.


(I just LOVE seeing a wedding ring on his finger!)

After our layover in Chicago we were headed across the pond :)  It was a long, 8 hour plane ride, but we had an awesome airplane to ride in.  It was my first long plane ride overseas, other than being a little cramped at times, it wasn't bad at all.  We landed in Madrid, Spain and just had one more quick flight before arriving in Rome.  As soon as we landed in Madrid, I could not wait to get something to eat.  I was STARVING and we all know how good airplane food is :)  Well..... little did I know, International Airports are nothing like American Airports.  Although we landed in Madrid around 7 am, nothing in the airport was open!  Not to mention, the plethora of restaurants that blankets American Airports was non-existant there.  All we could find were vending machines containing foreign snacks accepting a currency we had not yet exchanged.  Ignoring my grumbling stomach we boarded our flight to Rome anticipating the amazing Italian food we would eat when we arrived.


As soon as we landed in Rome we started praying that our luggage also landed with us.  I imagined the horrors of being on my honeymoon without everything I packed (that Jeremy insisted I was silly for bringing) "YES dear I am bringing my make-up, YES dear I DO need to pack 5 pairs of shoes....""  Soon though our luggage made it's appearance on the baggage carrel and we were on our way.  After we found a currency exhange.... and bought a coke....


No comments:

Post a Comment